Before you wed

Submission for a digital marital test is available as of June 2018. Before you can get married, the Tax Administration (Skatteetaten) must check if you meet the conditions for entering into marriage.

The Tax Administration will issue what is known as a 'Certificate of no impediment to marriage' (Norwegian: Prøvingsattest), which demonstrates that you fulfil the conditions for entering into marriage.

Choose between a digital or manual procedure

To apply, log on to - The road to marriage - step by step

Take into considerations that if you choose a manual procedure, the application processing time may take up to three weeks. Allow plenty of time in case there are any errors or omissions in the application and you have to obtain further documentations.

We recommend that you do this well in advance but no more than four months before the wedding. This is because the 'Certificate of no impediment to marriage' is only valid for four months.

Please notice:

  • Both you and your spouse are required to fill out separate personal declarations 
  • A Statement by the sponsor must be completed by each of the witnesses. 
  • Have you been married before? If so, you must fill in a “Declaration concerning division” 
  • If you wish to change your name in connection with the marriage, a change of name form must be submitted together with the other documents. Fill in the “change of name form”. 
  • Everything can be submitted digitally via the Tax Administration’s website ( Skattetaten).

Once the application has been processed, you will be notified to log into to download the 'Certificate of no impediment to marriage' (Prøvingsattest)

The certificate must be submitted to the wedding official. This can be done either in advance or the day of the wedding.

If you wish to send the certificate in advance, you can send it by e-mail to  or by regular mail to

Askøy kommune, Kundetorget, Klampavikvegen 1, N-5300 Kleppestø


Congratulations! You are now ready to get married!


Ceremony abroad under Norwegian law

If you wish to get married abroad under Norwegian law, you must choose between a Norwegian embassy or The Norwegian Church Abroad (Sjømannskirken).

If you fulfil the conditions for entering into marriage, you will receive by mail a legalized 'Certificate of no impediment to enter into marriage' endorsed with an apostille. The certificate along with your passports must be presented to the wedding official where the wedding is to be officiated.

Ceremony abroad under foreign law

If you intend to get married under foreign law, you must check with the authorities in the country concerned what documentation they will require.

Among other things, you must check if a marriage certificate is required and whether it must have an apostille stamp for the County Governor or be legalized (stamped by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs).

Back to top